Multi-Day Tour of Washington D.C. hosted by Martin Luther King Jr.’s Family | Join Now
The multi-day "Continuing the Dream" trip will take place from February 17 to 20. It will be conducted by various members of King's family, including his oldest son, Martin Luther King III.
The tour will begin with a visit to the MLK Memorial and a walking tour of the National Mall, followed by a Black history tour of the Capitol building grounds. Finally, participants will attend a welcoming reception with the King's family.
The trip will include visits to the MLK Library, the National Cathedral (with a discussion of Dr. King's last sermon), and the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture. In addition to the Georgetown African-American walking tour, Howard University, a historically black university, will be visited.
On the final night, attendees will be able to attend a goodbye dinner hosted by the King family.
The vacation costs $1,899 per person for a double occupancy room and varies depending on which hotel guests stay at.
A 4-Day Tour of Washington D.C. hosted by Martin Luther King Jr.'s Family | Full Itinerary
Day 1 (Feb 17)
- MLK Memorial and National Mall Walking Tour (4:00 pm – 6:00 pm). Private tour of monuments and memorials along the National Mall ending at the MLK statue.
- Black History Tour of The Capitol Building Grounds (6:30 pm – 7:30 pm). Learn about the enslaved and freed Black Workers who built the Capitol Building.
- Dinner (8:00 pm – 10:00 pm). Welcome reception with opening remarks from the Host Family. All participants will receive a group photo with the King Family commemorating the inaugural MLK tour.
Day 2 (Feb 18)
- Georgetown African American Walking Tour (9:00 am – 10:30 am). Learn about the history of the free and enslaved African Americans who worked in, lived in, and helped build Georgetown university and the Georgetown Neighborhood.
- National Cathedral Tour (11:00 am – 12:30 pm). Tour of the Cathedral, focusing on the materials used to build the structure while sharing stories of historical events. Later, Dr. King’s final sermon will be discussed near the Cathedral’s Canterbury Pulpit.
- Lunch (1:00 – 2:30 pm)
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Tour (2:45 pm – 5:45 pm). Explore the only museum in the world to highlight and illustrate the American story told explicitly through the powerful lens of African Americans.
- Cocktail Party at Park on 14th (7:00 pm – 9:00 pm). Enjoy a mixer at a “RestoBar” that serves up an eclectic variety of food.
Day 3 (Feb 19)
- Howard University Tour (9:00 am – 11:00 am). Walking tour of the Howard University campus and the history behind why it is the “Mecca.”
- U-Street Black Broadway Walking Tour (11:30 am – 1:00 pm). Take a walking tour of what used to be Black Broadway and see where treasured talents like Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington, and Marvin Gaye were frequently seen and heard.
- Lunch (1:30 pm – 3:00 pm)
- MLK Library (3:00 pm – 6:00 pm). The group will head to the recently restored Martin Luther King Jr. Library for a guided tour of this revolutionary community center. Followed by the library tour, a facilitated discussion about the various methods we can “Continue the Dream” will begin.
- Farewell Dinner (6:30 pm – 9:00 pm). Enjoy a farewell dinner hosted by the King family.
Day 4 (Feb 20)
- Departure day. Check-out is at 12:00 pm.
#1 Salamander Washington DC | Host Hotel
Salamander Washington DC
United States, DC, Washington
Salamander Washington DC, is located near the Southwest Waterfront and is 730 meters from the L'Enfant Plaza Metro station. A full-service spa is accessible for a charge, and accommodations provide views of the city or the water.
Every room at the Salamander Hotel in Washington, DC, has a flat-screen TV with on-demand movies and music. The marble bathrooms are enormous and have a big soaking tub and a separate shower.
Guests may unwind at the Salamander Spa, which has an indoor pool, sauna, steam room, plunge pool, and fitness center.
1 swimming pool
#2 Hilton Washington DC National Mall The Wharf | Extra Option
This LEED Silver-certified hotel in downtown Washington, D.C., is one mile from the Smithsonian Museums and other D.C. attractions. This hotel includes a lovely outdoor rooftop pool in addition to its clean and current modern aesthetics, as shown by the design of its construction.
Hilton Washington DC National Mall The Wharf
United States, DC, Washington
This LEED Silver-certified hotel in downtown Washington, D.C., is 1.6 kilometers from the Smithsonian Museums. It directly connects to a Metro metro station and an outdoor rooftop pool.
Every beautiful room at the Hilton Washington DC National Mall features high thread-count linens and designer bath products. There are also spacious work desks and cable TV.
The National Mall and the Washington Monument are about 1.6 kilometers apart. The National Zoo is 9.3 kilometers distant, and Ford's Theater is 15 minutes away by Metro.
L'Enfant Grill is a modern bistro that serves breakfast, lunch, and supper. Handcrafted drinks, local beers, and small meals are available at L'Enfant Bar.
The hotel has a high location score rating. Additionally, there's a swimming pool.
Leave a comment